Sunday, September 18, 2011

Dozen Bake Shop - Lawrenceville, PA

Today was my first 20 miler of the MCM training. I knew I needed to have a cupcake that was 100% going to be worth it. Not sure if I mentioned this before but I had the idea for this blog while running a few months ago past Dozen Cupcakes in Lawrenceville. Cupcakes have become so trendy and I've heard they played a major role in that happening here in Pittsburgh. I had really been looking forward to checking them out. Then, just as I started training, I got word that Dozen had closed. I was crushed. My inspiration for the blog was no longer around. <Insert sad, pouting face here>

I had "friended" them on Facebook and one day, a post came across that they would be reopening under new management. I was over the moon. I've been waiting and watching since then for my opportunity to get there for my weekend cupcake and today was it. My run had taken me past their establishment twice today so I had some time to look forward lust over what I was going to be consuming...

After my run, I made my way across the city to Dozen Bake Shop.






And walked straight to the cupcake display:




Honestly, I had expected there to be more selection but I also understand that it was a Sunday morning. Most of their patrons were getting breakfast-y items, not cupcakes. I chose "Death by Chocolate" and headed toward home.

While fighting the Steelers traffic, I received a text from a friend that she had an extra ticket for the game. My hubby has been amazing during all of my training. He's been the "babysitter", "massage therapist" and "cheerleader" for me, and I thought getting him the ticket would be a great way to pay him back for part of what he does. I drove straight to her house and then to ours to surprise him. Along the way, I called a neighborhood friend to see if she could watch the kids while I took hubby to the train stop. I pulled in, told him to get in the van and drove him to the station.

I was worn out and ready to go inside and eat my cupcake. But, even the best laid plans go awry, right? Just as I pulled back in the driveway, he called me to say that the next train wouldn't be coming for 40 minutes so he would miss the start of the game. I hurried back to the stop, picked him up and drove him to the North Shore so he wouldn't miss kickoff. Then, back to my house for a shower and lunch. I hadn't intended to be driving so much after running 20 miles but it is what it is, right?

After cleaning up, I finally got to try the cupcake.




No pics of me this week as I was in my pajamas by the time I finally got to eat it.  Let me just say that, just like Heinz Ketchup, it was worth the wait.

It was chocolate upon chocolate with chocolate on top sprinkled with chocolate. Seriously, unbelievable! It was huge so I shared it with my 5 year old. After I was done, she asked if she could lick my plate. Hmmmmm, someone is taking after their Mommy....

Moist cake, delicious chocolate, delectable treat. Yup, running 20 miles was sooooo worth it. Thanks Dozen! 

No comments:

Post a Comment